- Libby Cierzniak

- 2 days ago
- 5 min read
Updated: 16 hours ago

As an ardent supporter of historic preservation, I'm inclined to gasp whenever I see an old photo of a beautiful building that was felled by the wrecking ball in the name of progress. But then I remind myself that the concept of "lost Indianapolis" is relative. The places that we would consider “lost” if they were demolished today are different from the places our forebears viewed as lost, even if they’re located at exactly the same spot. Such is the case with the Indianapolis Athletic Club (IAC) at 350 N. Meridian.
The IAC building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2015, so it's easy to imagine the outrage if the IAC was razed. But the IAC was not the first structure to stand on the southwest corner of Meridian and Vermont streets that was considered a landmark. Some 100 years ago, Indianapolis residents mourned the demolition of two magnificent mansions that were torn down to pave the way for construction of the Indianapolis Athletic Club and an adjacent parking lot.

The IAC was incorporated in 1920 by a group of Indianapolis businessmen to “promote clean sports, amusement, and sociability” among members. A year later, the IAC leased the Frederick Fahnley home to serve as the site for its first clubhouse. But that didn't last long.
In 1922, the IAC demolished the Fahnley house to start construction on the 9-story building that still stands today.
When the Fahnley house was reduced to a pile of rubble in 1922, the imposing limestone mansion was one of the few survivors of a once-stately row of homes that faced University Park. A few years earlier, it would have seemed improbable that commercial interests would encroach upon this quiet park-like setting. However, the area started changing in 1893 when Gen. Lew Wallace demolished an old-fashioned homestead in the 400 block of North Meridian and built the now-landmark Blacherne apartments.
By the time Fahnley’s Italian Renaissance mansion was razed, it was surrounded by gasoline stations, new commercial buildings, and old homes converted to apartments and offices. Still, long-time Indianapolis residents mourned the loss of the majestic house that was once pointed out to visitors as the finest home in the city.

The house had been built in the early 1860s by prominent businessman Lewis Hasselman, who at one point had owned the Eagle Machine Works and was also a part owner of the Indianapolis Journal. The lot selected by Hasselman for his new home had been purchased from the state in 1838 by John H. Ferris for $50, or about $1,800 in today's dollars. This seems like a steal given what would be prime location today, but in 1838 the block that is now University Park had been reserved by the legislature in 1827 for construction of a university and sat largely vacant except for the Marion County Seminary. The square finally became a park in the late 1860s after a university failed to materialize.
Hasselman selected then-prominent local architect Francis Costigan to design his house. A native of Washington, D.C., Costigan originally practiced in Madison, Indiana, where he designed many fine homes, including the 1844 Lanier Mansion, which is now a state historic site. After moving to Indianapolis, Costigan went on to design the first Indiana School for the Blind in 1847, which was razed in 1930 to make way for the War Memorial Plaza, and the Odd Fellows Lodge, which stood on the northeast corner of Pennsylvania and Washington streets before it was demolished in 1907.

Costigan died of tuberculosis in April 1865, and his death went largely unnoticed in the media frenzy surrounding the assassination of President Lincoln that had occurred a few days earlier. Although now revered by architectural historians, Costigan had been largely forgotten by 1921. An April 9, 1921 article in the Indianapolis News noted that "[f]or a year or more a number of Indianapolis people have been trying to learn something about this architect who was prominent here 70 years ago, but without result."
Costigan was near the end of his life when he designed the house for Lewis Hasselman, whose family lived there until the late 1870s. Wholesale milliner Frederick Fahnley bought the home in the mid-1880s for $105,000, or about $3.7 million in today's dollars.

The home's imposing limestone facade hinted at the elegance that lay within. According to a 1921 article in the Indianapolis News, "[t]he interior of the house is finished in a style to delight the eye." The staircase and woodwork were hand-carved from butternut wood, and the fireplaces were surrounded by massive mantels of Carrara marble. One especially notable feature, according to the News, was the basement, which had "dungeon-like compartments not found in modern basements." When Fahnley left the home in 1921, the mantels went with him.
Prominent local architect Robert Frost Daggett designed the new IAC building in the Renaissance Revival style. The cornerstone to the Indianapolis Athletic Club was laid in 1922 with much fanfare, including 1,000 uniformed soldiers and Boy Scouts, a golden trowel, and airplanes dropping parachutes with bouquets and messages attached. The IAC opened in 1924. Then, after 80 years of service as a private club, the 9-story building that replaced Fahnley’s opulent home came full circle and was converted back to residential use as luxury condominiums.

The limestone mansion that bordered the Fahnley home on the south was still standing when the cornerstone for the IAC was laid in 1922, but not for much longer. Also designed by Francis Costigan, the house at 330 N. Meridian was built in 1857 by local merchant Oliver Tousey and later sold to Edward F. Claypool, the namesake for the since-demolished Claypool Hotel. In 1903, the News dubbed it "the most sedate, dignified and enduring domestic structure in the city."
While it may have been sedate and dignified, the Tousey-Claypool house did not prove to be enduring. A couple of years after Claypool's death in 1913, the property was sold to a group of local businessmen for nearly $170,000 ($5.8 million in today's dollars). Plans for the future use of the property had not been finalized at the time of the sale, but given its prime location, a multi-story office building was expected to be developed on the site. The house was demolished in 1923.

The two Costigan-designed homes in the 300 block of North Meridian were not the first landmarks to be felled as the business district grew, nor were they the last. In 1909, a writer for the Indianapolis Star urged citizens who mourned the loss of local landmarks to take solace in fact the new buildings replacing the old structures would someday be landmarks themselves.
And as it turns out, he would prove to be right in the case of the Indianapolis Athletic Club, which replaced the historic Hasselman-Fahnley house. But his prediction fell short when it came to the Tousey-Claypool house. Much like the university that failed to materialize in University Park, the new business building envisioned for 330 N. Meridian was never built. Ever since the house was razed 103 years ago, the lot has remained vacant and is used for parking.
As Joni Mitchell famously sang:
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
For more information about the Hasselman-Fahnley house, check out Joan Hostetler's excellent article, "Indianapolis Then and Now: Hasselman-Fahnley House and the Indianapolis Athletic Club."




















